Sharing inspirations on Home, Travel and Fashion while solving the mysteries of each. We love to create a new fashion “look” a room redesigned or an itinerary imagined. Home travel and fashion blogger Jonelle Tannahill takes you behind the scenes to meet Innkeepers, fiber artists, fashion stylists and museum curators to give you the latest in lifestyle trends.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Found something new out of something old

Book Jenna gave me for Christmas
I love the idea of second uses for things I already have.  I subscribe to Real Simple and enjoy every month the section on new uses for old things.  My daughter Jenna gave me the book Real Simple special publication 799 New Uses for Old Things. It's "an encyclopedia of innovative ideas for everyday items," packed full of good ideas—and I am already putting it to good use.  Here are some I have used in the first week of the New Year:

1) Umbrella: "Air-dry laundry. When an umbrella has lost the capacity to fend off raindrops, cut away the fabric and hang the frame upside down from a shower rod. Clip small, light items to the ribs with clothespins."

2) Name tags - I used old name tags to mark my Christmas boxes.  I also put one on the bottom of the plates I took to parties (including my phone number) in case I forgot to get them at the end.

3)Paper clip dispenser - I used a second one to hold my bobby pins in the bathroom

4)  My favorite reuse is a small lampshade I used to put my vintage pins for display (see below)

Thank you Jenna for the book.  I love it!


To see the 50 All-Time Favorite New Uses for Old Things

smartest ways to rethink common items.

 Now I notice there is a second book that lists 869 new uses...hummmmmm        http://www.realsimple.com/

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home