Sharing inspirations on Home, Travel and Fashion while solving the mysteries of each. We love to create a new fashion “look” a room redesigned or an itinerary imagined. Home travel and fashion blogger Jonelle Tannahill takes you behind the scenes to meet Innkeepers, fiber artists, fashion stylists and museum curators to give you the latest in lifestyle trends.

Friday, June 12, 2009

30 Year Reunion - YIKES!

I can not believe it is 7 weeks till my 30th year reunion! I still need to lose 10 pounds, find something cool, young, hip and fun to wear, find something different to do with my hair...and you know who would even notice since I haven't seen many of these friends for 30 years?

When I received the invitation I immediately got a hold of my high school best friend Margaret and asked her to go with Richard and I (It's always best to have someone to sit with) I then called a few more friends because she was not "set" on going yet.

Next I got out my yearbooks and re read them, all four of them! That way names might be more top of mind.


Then I looked about 20 up on Facebook to reconnect with them . I got in touch with other classmates that I thought might attend too. There is safety and courage in going to a reunion with close friends. It was great catching up on line and gave me a lot more confidence that I will have friends to talk to at the reunion, and for years longer.

The most important thing I must remember is not to worry so much. My classmate that acted like a jerk in high school is never going to remember me and re visit it. We have all grown up I am sure and we will all feel awkward and unsure. So the best thing I can do is enter the room with a smile and enjoy meeting again people whom I once had something in common with...going to the same high school.

Now that I am thinking about it..maybe I just need to relax and enjoy myself. Really no one will know I have put on 10 pounds in the last 30 years and no one will care about a trendy haircut or sensational outfit. What most people remember is one's smile and their voice.

Tips:
Look forward to your reunion and be positive. Everyone you talk to will have something interesting to offer in conversation

Before the reunion and on the way to the event talk with your significant about many of the fun and wonderful things since high school you have done. That way when someone asks what you have done since high school it will be top of mind.

Be complimentary and state your fond memories of those you talk with.Wear what makes you feel confident. Going to a high school reunion can be nerve-wracking, but if you dress confidently, you will come off as a confident person
Avoid negative behavior or discussion. If someone you are talking to starts in, excuse yourself to move over to another person you'd like to say hi to.

Do not wear anything uncomfortable, such as something too tight or something you have to constantly adjust or tug at throughout the night. You want your mind to be on your old high school friends, not your clothes.

Try to wear a color other than all black. The older we get the more vibrant we want to look.

Be careful while being nervous try not to over eat or drink.

Be yourself. The best conversations come when you are authentic and most of all don't feel pressured to be something you're not

Smile, even if you are nervous. Remember people will always feel more positive about you if you smile.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home