Sharing inspirations on Home, Travel and Fashion while solving the mysteries of each. We love to create a new fashion “look” a room redesigned or an itinerary imagined. Home travel and fashion blogger Jonelle Tannahill takes you behind the scenes to meet Innkeepers, fiber artists, fashion stylists and museum curators to give you the latest in lifestyle trends.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Knit and Feel Insipered

I love the look of hand knit accessories.  I began knitting in the 7th grade.  At that time in Junior high you could go to summer school and take a "fun" class.  I chose knitting and never regretted it.  Every winter I browse through the stores checking out what is new and exciting for scarfs.  In truth I have never taken on one project larger than a scarf.  I make a new one every year as a tradition, and sometimes I make several.  And yes I even have a wonderful scarf project that stumped me and is unfinished at this time.  I guess that gives me the idea of sharing with you some hard earned "purls" of wisdom as to what to keep in mind when contemplating a knitting project as a beginner.

Beginner Knitting Tips:

 1: Make a scarf. A scarf is a practical first choice because one size fits all and it’s useful. I believe we can never have enough scarf’s. And go ahead and splurge on the best yarn you can buy, one you think is incredible, after all you will be devoting many hours to this project. It's a low-risk way to hone basic stitches and experiment with new ones as you develop your skill.

2: Knit something for yourself first. It's inspiring to wear your own handiwork. Once you're hooked, you'll produce more than enough scarves (or hats, or socks) for your friends and relatives.

3: Choose yarn you love. You'll be looking at it for a long time. Buying cheap yarn is a waste even to "practice" Choose spectacular yarn for your project and you will stay motivated and actually wear what you make.

4: Heed this cautionary tale. It can get expensive, and the yarn store clerk will steer you to some incredible and lovely yarns.  I have bought $35.00 skeins and $5.00 skeins, and there IS a difference.  I use my Joann's and Michael's coupons as well as Knitting store sales.  Again back to my first point, knit a scarf, two skeins and your set.

**for beginners type “knitting” into youtube and hundreds of tutorials appear for your assistance
Where do I get my inspiration?

What have you knit?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home