Sharing inspirations on Home, Travel and Fashion while solving the mysteries of each. We love to create a new fashion “look” a room redesigned or an itinerary imagined. Home travel and fashion blogger Jonelle Tannahill takes you behind the scenes to meet Innkeepers, fiber artists, fashion stylists and museum curators to give you the latest in lifestyle trends.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

PreLoved - re think the fabrics/clothes/quality you love





http://www.preloved.ca/

Preloved, is a company in Toronto that recycles vintage sweaters, pants and other items and transform them into one-of-a-kind designs. The company has been around since 1995 and sells their products at small stores all over North America. They have three different product lines: Preloved, Handcut and BLoved. Preloved combines used and new fabrics, Handcut is made of 100% used fabrics. I love this concept, and as a sewer myself it makes me wonder what I have in my own wardrobe to remix.

Redesigned vintage clothing is a great idea, because while you might be able to find some decent clothes in your own closet, a trip to Discovery thrift stores, salvation army or goodwill may turn out some real treasures. Remember most of the clothes could use some altering to bring them up to date anyway, so a complete overhaul may just be fun.


The best thing about this concept is that with a little sewing knowledge, you can begin replicating their ideas yourself.

One thing that was key was turning the sweater upside down so that the old "bottom" could be used as a neckline or for the sleeves (you can see this technique being used int the sweater pictured left).

Another idea is to make a scarf using scraps of several cut up sweaters, combining colors and textures.

There are a lot of great articles all over the Internet about how to recycle your used clothing. http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474977191231 and another great place to find clothing that has been re made is www.etsy.com

My daughter Jenna has been creating wonderful blue jeans quilts with our used jeans. I have seen folks at rummage sales (3.00 a bag last day) fill large grocery bags with the left over jeans for these quilts if you don't have enough jeans lying around.


I Jonelle Tannahill pledge that I shall abstain from the purchase of "new" manufactured items of clothing, for the period of 2 months so that I may learn to remix what I have at home. I pledge that I shall refashion, renovate, recycle preloved items for myself with my own hands in fabric, yarn or other medium for the term of my contract. I pledge that I will share the love and post a photo of my refashioned, renovated, recycled, crafted or created item of clothing on my blog, so that others may share the joy that thy thriftyness brings!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home