Sharing inspirations on Home, Travel and Fashion while solving the mysteries of each. We love to create a new fashion “look” a room redesigned or an itinerary imagined. Home travel and fashion blogger Jonelle Tannahill takes you behind the scenes to meet Innkeepers, fiber artists, fashion stylists and museum curators to give you the latest in lifestyle trends.

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Lov'in my Polar Fleece vest - and I made it myself



 
 
 This circle Vest made out of Polar Fleece is quick and easy to make.  Here are some tips...
 
 
The temperatures have been dipping, and I am constantly layering up even while in the house.  My Mom had made this wonderful polar fleece vest and I thought that it would be a great addition to my wardrobe too.  This is very easy to sew even if you are a sewing beginner and it took no more than an hour to make my second vest.
 
I found the directions On the Threads blog. My Mom re-designed the pattern making it much longer and I copied the longer look.  You can find a shorter version and all the instructions here: 
 http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/11045/circular-vest This vest was featured in the Threads magazine issue #146. All you need is about a yard of fabric and binding and you can make this project from start to finish in a couple of hours.
Of course I changed things up a bit.  We both made the vest out of Fleece and used pinking shears to finish the edges.  This makes the vest softer and lighter weight.
For this super-comfy version, I choose a thick non pill polar fleece. For a more sweater-like one you could choose a loose knit fabric. For a double-sided option you could topstitch two layers of fleece together and have a heavier outerwear weight vest.
The fabric makes this vest.  I went to three fabric stores before I found polar fleece that looked “grown up” and fashion forward.  I bought both the navy blue and circle fleece at Joann’s Fabric and Craft store.  Be sure to look for non pill polar fleece.  This vest is the perfect addition to my winter wardrobe adding that “extra” layer of warmth, and style.
What’s Next???
I’m so in love with this vest I want to make one of those trendy faux fur vests.  You can also use this method to create a pattern for a super-quick faux fur vest like the one on PS I Made this blog http://psimadethis.com/post/207675229/fur-get-about-authentic-pelts-fakes-are  I have used faux fur years ago when I made teddy bears for my daughters.  Faux fur does not ravel, so you don't have to finish the edges.  Stay tuned for more….
Directions to make the vest:
1)   Buy 1 yard of Polar Fleece fabric and matching thread.
2)   Pre-wash the fleece. Machine wash it and dry it in the dryer without fabric softener sheets.
3)   Go to Threads link and make a pattern.  Then lay it on the fabric and pin it down.
4)   Cut out the fabric around the pattern with pinking sheers
5)   Turn under raw edges (to wrong side of the fabric) of arm holes and sew ¼ inch seam. I caution you to make the holes smaller than you think you need, they really “grow” once you turn the edge under to wrong side.
6)   My mom added patch pockets, and I love that feature so I added them too.  The secret here is to match the pattern so they blend in.  Cut out the pockets with pinking sheers, put on vest and place the pockets pinning them on.  Turn top of pocket under and top stitch.  Topstitch pocket on sewing close to edge.
 
Hope you enjoyed the Polar Fleece Vest, let me know how yours turns out!  Jonelle'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home