Sharing inspirations on Home, Travel and Fashion while solving the mysteries of each. We love to create a new fashion “look” a room redesigned or an itinerary imagined. Home travel and fashion blogger Jonelle Tannahill takes you behind the scenes to meet Innkeepers, fiber artists, fashion stylists and museum curators to give you the latest in lifestyle trends.

Monday, March 11, 2013

Happy St Patrick's Day

To start with I used my Grandma Elsie Jacobsen's linen and embroidered table cloth. 


Don't ya just love the green and black stitching?
You've seen it before, on the other side are pink and white flowers. 




I know it's simple, but I wanted to show off the table cloth.


Yep those are faux artichokes, we are actually having soup.  The dishes are The Mill green transfer-ware in green.  Richard and I bought them in Sonoma, CA at the Church Mouse Antique Store.  We have a setting for four.  Alfred Meakin from Staffordshire England.  And the chargers are wooden.  The cream plates are vintage Metlox Poppytrail Antique Grape.  They came from my grandma Ellen Heinz, and I have the whole set of them.
I looked around the house to find "this and that"  Here is a tray of items that have green in them.  This is set up ready for tea.  This afternoon I have two neighbors stopping by and I'm inviting them to join me for tea and some cookies.  Don't you love the cake top couple.  It is sitting on top of one of the cake stands I made. check out my blog entry http://jotraveler.blogspot.com/2011/06/odd-pieces-of-china-laying-around.html  This is the wedding topper that was on my mom and dad's cake 54 years ago.  Did you notice the odd spoons are from Ireland. They are travel spoons one collects on their travels.  The linen napkins are hand embroidered with matching flowers to the tea pot.
This is the back, I like that it looks nice all the way around.  The cabbage soup terrine was found at a garage sale.  I use it in the winter for soups.

Here I decorated the room in beaded garland I bought last year at Joann's for 45 cents a bag.l  I also used the shamrocks I purchased three years ago for a party.  It's fun to decorate when you use what you already have.

Lastly I put out the oldest thing I have in my house.  This green pitcher and two tall glasses came from my grandma Elsie's family.  They made it through the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake and the six moves that I made.  I love how delicate they are and the charming painting of a woman and man with outreaching arms.  I framed that St Patrick's Day card and below you will see I added antique books, gloves and perfume bottles.  The pearls are 1950'd, but I liked the way they look on the silver tray.


 I decided to make rice crispy treats for the laddies.  I have some shamrock clover design cookie cutters, and two colors of green sprinkles.  FUN!  So easy to make, you can make some too:
INGREDIENTS
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 package (10 oz. about 40) regular marshmallows
OR
4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups  Rice Krispies cereal
Canned frosting or decorating gel
Green decorating sugar (optional)



DIRECTIONS
1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add rice krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool slightly. Using cookie cutter coated with cooking spray cut into shamrocks. Decorate with frosting and decorating sugar (if desired). Best if served the same day.
MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS:
In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 and 3 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home