Sharing inspirations on Home, Travel and Fashion while solving the mysteries of each. We love to create a new fashion “look” a room redesigned or an itinerary imagined. Home travel and fashion blogger Jonelle Tannahill takes you behind the scenes to meet Innkeepers, fiber artists, fashion stylists and museum curators to give you the latest in lifestyle trends.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Packing for Vacation!



I am preparing to go on vacation and want to make sure I am ready to go and all prepared when I finally set sail. I have included my packing list for those of you who are like me...organized...yet forgetful.

Packing for a week in California!


Tops
2 blouses
1 jacket or blazer
1 sweater
2 tee-shirts/short sleeve
If cold add
1 turtleneck
1 polarflece vests

Bottoms
2 pants
1 short
1 skirt

Dresses and Ensembles
1 basic black dress or suit



Accessories
belt
jewelry
scarves

Outerwear (If cold)
coat
gloves
hat
scarf/shawl
umbrella

Activewear
athletic shoes


exercise wear
swimsuit/cover-up

Shoes
1 casual shoes
1 dress shoes
1 flip flops/slipper

Lingerie
Bras
camisole
nightgown
panties
pantyhose/socks
slip

The key to packing light and tight is to think about versatility above all else: A large scarf that doubles for a swimsuit cover up. A reversible skirt, basic knit pants that can be paired with a belt and jean jacket, or an evening sweater and heals are the perfect multi use travel clothes to include in your packing. A tank top for the head that can be layered over a collar shirt as a vest.

Here’s a few easy steps I’ve collected in my research to lighter and smarter packing:

Start with the basics. One color like brown, navy, black, white or Khaki. Next pick a few great shirts that match with all the basic pieces. Then add accessorize, shoes and scarves. These colors go with many things, dress up or down, and don’t show dirt easily. When its cold out opt for the darker colors, and when it is warm, you might want to think about light colors for sun resistance.

How versatile is it? I like to pack a pushma shawl to use for evening and with my jeans. I even use it as a blanket on the plane. I have a reversible travel skirt that is black on one side and floral on the other. I enjoy having several looks with one skirt. For an evening bag I pack a soft sparkly cover that zips over my travel purse. I also always pack an eco shopping bag that scrunches into a wallet. I keep it in my purse so as I make travel purchases I have a place to put them.

When I travel I think about layering my clothes like short and long-sleeved items that can be worn together for different combinations for different looks. I use a lot of accessories to extend my fashion– large scarf that double as a blouse at times under my suit, or a bathing suit cover uop. Smaller silk scarves, 2 larger jewelry pieces, braclets, one hat.


Reversible items get you two styles for the price of one, you also increase your options when combining them with each other. Why not lay everything out on your bed, and start taking away: remove anything that does not go well with everything else, or that you are not sure you will wear. Pack smart - learn to not try to plan for absolutely everything, maximize the versatility of the items you do pack.

Don’t add extra weight at the last minute – keep shoes, heavy reading materials, and toiletries light. Ask yourself, Do you really need it?

Don’t forget to follow the TSA 3-1-1 when flying. Make sure your toiletries you carry onto the plane fit into the proper baggie. Look for smaller containers, sample toiletries, makeup of products you might normally carry as liquids (like hand soap, foundation make-up). (TSA tips on this blog)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home