Sharing inspirations on Home, Travel and Fashion while solving the mysteries of each. We love to create a new fashion “look” a room redesigned or an itinerary imagined. Home travel and fashion blogger Jonelle Tannahill takes you behind the scenes to meet Innkeepers, fiber artists, fashion stylists and museum curators to give you the latest in lifestyle trends.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Going Back to where I grew up, as a visitor...


Ya, I’m from a small town, last weekend I went back to my small town for my high school reunion, and I found it to feel more like a small vacation.

As John Mellencamp said:
Educated in a small town
Taught to fear Jesus in a small town
Used to daydream in that small town

Another boring romantic, that's me...

Like a lot of us we find the familiar comforting and exciting at the same time. While returning home to where I went to 4th grade through high school. Memories came rushing back that reminded me of this song. Walking Downtown Saratoga (CA) driving by my old house, stopping in at the Library, then to the “Friends of the Library” used book store I used to frequent in High School. to buy 14 books for $26.00 at the “Book-go-round” www.bookgoround.com. I also ran into “The Fat Robin” next to ”La Mesa” carrying linens, & household decorating items.
There were new stores I found exciting, a jewelry store with almost vintage looking “new” in exquisite jewelry, brilliant diamonds, lustrous pearls, rare gemstones called Déjà & Co. Loved the timeless beauty of each piece. I also liked AGNES a contemporary clothing and accessories store for the 20 something’s…Very high end looking but great prices. Loved their purses and jewelry. Both right on the main street Big Basin Way…

Richard and I enjoyed having lunch on the patio overlooking the trees at Vienna Woods Deli, I was quiet remembering sitting there at 16 with a friend only affording a soda.

Mrs. Bensons Estate Antiques is still there. I couldn’t believe it MRS BENSON is still there too. Ya gotta love her as she helps you find what you might prize as she tells you stories about what’s come in. There were some good deals on pink floating cultured pearl necklace for just $14.00, wish I had bought them.
For a Saturday it was quiet like I remember. That feeling that I had when I returned to my hometown was strangely familiar and exciting. It’s funny, I get such a familiar feelings when I visit faraway places that have that same slowness, open space and friendly folks.

Whether in Tours France, Malmsbury England or Los Muchas, Mexico I find a small restaurant, where I can sit outside under an umbrella and drink in the little shops and friendly people passing by.
I just love to travel, and going home feels like a weekend away…

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home