Sharing inspirations on Home, Travel and Fashion while solving the mysteries of each. We love to create a new fashion “look” a room redesigned or an itinerary imagined. Home travel and fashion blogger Jonelle Tannahill takes you behind the scenes to meet Innkeepers, fiber artists, fashion stylists and museum curators to give you the latest in lifestyle trends.

Saturday, June 5, 2010

A surprise old tin turns out some real treasures.


My Mom and I have been always enjoyed conversing about jewely and fashion. I am walking in her footsteps creating necklaces and re stringing beads in my latest desire to re-mix what I have at home. This past Saturday she handed me a large tin and told me there were necklaces and jewelry that my grandma Elsie Jacobsen owned and others she has collected over the years for her jewely designs.




Inside I found some real treasures!!!

I loved the Monet Classics! A few, one with multi strands, and one I need to re string (I'm salivating now).

Of course the cheap and fun fakes pearls are fabulous. In several different colors of neutrals. I plan on using those not good enough for a necklace on my Victorian Christmas Tree.

I found one short, "High Quality" with fine detail necklace with wonderful white leaves and rhinestone flower by DeMario NY Jewelry Robert De Mario designed jewelry from 1945-1960. He worked with faceted beads, pearls, including baroque pearls, and rhinestones. Much of his work has beads and pearls wired onto an ornate base. Excellent design and craftsmanship was his forte'. DeMario jewelry is very collectible since there was a very limited amount of it originally.

There was one Miriam Haskell piece that was my grandma's. My Aunt Nancy might have bought it for her as a gift. Miriam Haskell was an American designer of costume jewelry. Haskell founded her own company, one that still bears her name. With her creative partner Frank Hess, she invented affordable pieces of stunning originality from 1920 through the 1950's. Vintage examples and samples of Miriam Haskell designs are now much sought, held in both private collections and museums internationally. And to think I now have a piece too. When I find an outfit that rocks this necklace I will take a picture and post.

One necklace with cute daisy like pieces are an exact match to some 1950's style button earrings I received years ago from grandma. So that must be the matching necklace.



All in all it sure has been fun dreaming about the ways I will wear my necklaces and jewelry and feeling satisfied we will once again have many meaningful discussions about fashion and how I will re-mix some of this jewelry and just layer and ware the rest. Thank you MOM!!!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home