Sharing inspirations on Home, Travel and Fashion while solving the mysteries of each. We love to create a new fashion “look” a room redesigned or an itinerary imagined. Home travel and fashion blogger Jonelle Tannahill takes you behind the scenes to meet Innkeepers, fiber artists, fashion stylists and museum curators to give you the latest in lifestyle trends.

Friday, June 29, 2012

Memories of a Beautiful Retreat

Design Inspiration: Villa Toscana Style
What inspires your design?  For me its a sense of excitement-- a feeling I get when I am so enamored and inspired by a room, a house or an estate.

Back in early 2000, I worked at a beautiful Tuscan-inspired luxury Bed and Breakfast located in the heart of Paso Robles Wine Country. This elegant property was located right on the vineyards of Martin and Weyrich Winery- and the perfect location for relaxing retreats, elegant weddings, special events and romantic getaways. This was a place of inspiration for me as the architecture, craftsmanship, design and custom ironworks were all inspiring examples that have expanded my design ideas.

I enjoyed mingling with guests, making gourmet breakfast in the Bistro Kitchen or pouring expensive wines and serving hors d oeuvres on the patio.  This was a special place as there were cooking demonstrations, special meals prepared by 5 star chefs for in-room dining and an atmosphere of old world charm.  Italian music played in the background, some of my very favorite songs still today.


At the Villa Toscana the rooms were all suites that had expansive baths, sitting rooms and balconies. To round out the property- Villa Toscana also boasted two deluxe suites- the 1200 square foot Casa Dolcetto Cottage and the 3500 square foot Winemakers Residence. Each room was named after one of their wines and finely decorated with the same complexity and enthusiasm that was put into the winemaking.


The whole complex resembled an Italian estate--from the stucco, limestone, and ironwork exterior to the suites furnished with French and Italian antiques.
One of my favorite things to do there was to take a stroll through the vineyard, pick vegetables from the on site gardens and sit and listen to the imported fountains.  I look at my own home today and see many of the qualities of the Villa Toscana represented here.














The crown jewel of the property is 3,075 square-foot villa known as the Winemaker's Residence.  This is where the VIP's stayed.  I met Barbra Striesand and James Brolin there. The expansive two-bedroom house was furnished with Italian antiques, art and luxurious bedding, as well as a trio of fireplaces and a dining room for ten.
 
 

I was especially inspired by the outdoor decor.  This is one of the patios at the Villa.  Richard and I patterned our veranda after this.  We have large travertine floor tiles on the deck and the same ironwork railings too.

 
Although the Villa Toscana is now closed, I still find inspiration in the photographs I have of the property.  It inspired so many details in my own home.  



 




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home